Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Spokes on the Wheel


I relate my life to a moving wheel with spokes. One spoke is my emotional self. One spoke is my financial self, one my spiritual self, and one my social self.  For the first time in my life or at least in my long term memory, all the spokes in my wheel are strong and moving in the right direction. I am staying straight on the road headed on the right path, my path.
This has not happened by chance. I realized that I have nurtured and tuned up each spoke on my wheel in order to be where I am today. This process did not happen overnight. It took a lot of work. It took time, attention and was painful.
 I realized that in my life when one of my spokes was weak and needed attention I ignored it and rationalized not taking care of it because the wheel was still working.
 I didn’t want to address it because it was still “functioning”.  I was still moving through life even though I was bent and malfunctioning. 
 I finally realized that the wheel may have appeared to be functioning but not addressing the weak spoke put strain on the other spokes in my life and I was unbalanced and unhappy. 
How did I get all my spokes strong? I slowed down....stopped.....took each one off the wheel.... examined it.... tuned it up and put the wheel back together. 
 I had to deal with each area of my life...... really deal with it in order to feel whole and happy.
I tackled my finances as a new single woman. I strengthen my emotional self through the support of good friends, resilience, fight, counseling, accountability and acceptance. I stopped fighting and blaming my God and we came to an understanding; a real relationship that I now understand and internalize. I left dysfunctional relationships with women and men.  I accepted being alone. I reached out and have made new relationships socially and personally. Those that are healthy and nurturing.
My wheel is strong and it is carrying me to where I want to go.....to places I only dreamed of before.
 I know this will not always be the case. Like any piece of equipment my wheel will break and weaken. I know I cannot ignore issues that come up. When my spokes weaken I need to tune them up, take them off and put them back on. The maintenance of these spokes is not the responsibility of a mechanic; it is the responsibility of me. I am responsible for my happiness, my finances, my health and my spirituality. I am the mechanic of my wheel of life.
What spokes in your life are weak and need tuned up and nurtured?
I promise you that if you strengthen all the spokes on your life wheel you will start to move in the direction you always wanted to but only dreamed of…
Keeping it Real with Dr. Mary G

No comments:

Post a Comment