Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The House that Mary is Helping Build

I am currently in a relationship with someone that is different from any relationship I have ever been in….
It is solid, honest, full of warmth and integrity, trust and acceptance. I have had relationships in the past that I have thought were solid but as time passed it became apparent they weren’t….they crumbled to the ground like poorly built houses.
Some crumbled during the first storm…some crumbled after a lifetime of storms….but they all crumbled…
What makes this one different?
There are many aspects that make this relationship different for me…..
 First and foremost, I am not building this one on my own.
Re-evaluating past relationships I have discovered that often it was me doing most of the building…the other person not engaged in the process…..or.....me begging or pleading for the person to engage…to help build…or me…tearing it down out of anger, sorrow, resentments, and hopelessness. 
 For many reasons these relationships were not build on solid foundations. Like houses built on sand…they sank into the ground……..
This time I am building a relationship with someone.  Together we are building the foundation, brick by brick and stone by stone. Neither of us forcing it to be built…..neither of us pushing our own agendas…
The foundation of this house is based on friendship, communication, deep respect, loyalty, support, value, grace, God, and presence.
What will the house look like…I have no idea and I don’t care….no expectations….
How long will it take to build….no idea…don’t care…no expectations….I just know that we are building a strong foundation…..together…
Will the house last forever….that’s not the point…it is being built today, the right way…brick by brick and stone by stone.
I have learned that I don’t need to know the answers in this relationships in regards to longevity, the why’s…the how’s….
What I know is I finally know how to build a house the right way…and this is a lesson I will never forget.
Are your relationships built on sand or stone?
Keeping it Real with Dr. Mary G

1 comment:

  1. Matthew 7:24-27 AMP

    So everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them [obeying them] will be like a sensible (prudent, practical, wise) man who built his house upon the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them will be like a stupid (foolish) man who built his house upon the sand. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell--and great and complete was the fall of it.

    ReplyDelete