Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Going the Distance

I run, that is what I do…that is what I have done in the past….not in a good way..
 I have a good friend who in the last year has gotten me into real running. She said to me that it was amazing how fast I was able to pick it up and go distances. It occurred to me it is because I have been running my whole life.
When things get tough my past solutions have been to run away from them through physical change or avoidance. When things are bad….I run…. I run fast…..the problem is….I get tired and have to stop  and whatever I am running from catches up to me….      `
What we all know to be true is that we can’t run from ourselves. We can change careers, friends, and partners but at the end of the day we still have us. I still have me and I can’t run from me….
Running isn’t entirely bad for me….there has been situations I needed to change, leave behind….so I have developed new strategies with my running..
First and foremost I am in shape physically and emotionally so I can run…leave the bad stuff behind and not run from myself…
In adverse times I have learned to slow my pace…. …not stop entirely but slow down….recover…a nice jog…
Sometimes I walk and walking is acceptable…stopping and catching your breath is acceptable…I have learned to deal with different situations at different paces…
I recently had the urge to run again. For a different reason…..things are good…really never been better…..and I have and had the urge to run away from the good things…..based on fear…self-worth….who knows….
I am stopping myself from doing that…I am turning the corner and running back toward the good stuff…where I belong…acceptance…running to the good in my life is giving me strength and will sustain my pace for when I need to go the distance and deal with adversity..
Don’t run from yourself, slow your pace, don’t be afraid of jogging or walking or being still…
Avoidance is not the answer….
Keeping it Real with Dr. Mary Graham

2 comments:

  1. PERSONALITY -"That they may be one, even as we are one." John 17:22 Personality is that peculiar, incalculable thing that is meant when we speak of ourselves as distinct from everyone else. Our personality is always too big for us to ograsp. An island in the sea may be but the top of a great mountain. Personality is like an island, we know nothing about the great depths underneath, consequently we cannot estimate ourselves. We begin by thinking that we can, but we come to realize that there is only one Being Who understands us, and that is our Creator.

    ReplyDelete