Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Unpacking

When I travel it is always easier for me to pack than unpack. When I come home the unpacking is never pleasant. I put it off. It is the same for me when it comes to the dishwasher and the dryer. I have no problems loading the dirty dishes or clothes but when it comes to unloading I am very resistant…..
It is the same with life sometimes…
The issue with unpacking for me is that I seem to forget sometimes where to put things. The space has suddenly been occupied by something else and often it seems easier just to keep it in, push it aside, rearrange it or shove it in the “closet” and ignore it.
I have packed a lot in my life suitcase in the past forty-one years. I realize I haven’t done the unpacking that is needed. The suitcase is heavy, the wheels are broken and I have been dragging it on my back far to long.
The time has come to really unpack for me.  Put things where they belong, throw away things that are useless and donate the rest.  It is time to eliminate the clutter.
This may be shocking to you all but I am not perfect. I need to unpack the need to be perfect, prove myself to everyone. I need to unpack the fact that I grew up with dysfunction and poverty. I need to unpack failed relationships, parental mistakes, poor choices, lost dreams, regret and remorse.  I need to unpack the need to be super human.
Unpacking is the first step. It is difficult and challenging. It requires us to say out loud the things we have stored maybe for day a year or lifetime.  It can be a scary process, but it is guaranteed to be liberating. Imagine unpacking and not having to drag the broken, heavy, overstuffed case on your back any longer. Imagine having a case so light that you don’t have to pay a baggage fee. Over the course of a life time those fees add up to increased life dysfunctions, lack of spiritual and mental health, sorrow and pain.
I challenge you to start unpacking what needs unpacked in your life. It may not be easy.
 Once we unpack we will, together, figure out what to store, what to throw away and what to donate.  
Keeping it real with Dr. Mary G!

No comments:

Post a Comment