Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sitting with Someone in Grief


There is no grief like the grief that does not speak-Longfellow

Grief comes in many forms….loss of perceived life, death, divorce, tragedy….
Grief is an emotional response to loss….
My heart has been heavy for a couple of weeks….lots of people I know have suffered loss, tragedy, sickness….
Grieving over people…things…relationships….loss…loss…loss…
It has made me think about how I have gotten through the tough times in my life…
Prior to a couple of years ago….I didn’t really “get through” them….didn’t know how to grieve

I use to suffer in pain and silence
I tried everything I could do to mask the pain and pretend it wasn’t there…
I use to be good at putting on a happy face….stuffing it down and then just forgetting about it…
I use to believe that if my life “looked” put together and good….then it was….
I use to think that given my education and training I should be above “falling apart” (I call that doctor’s stupidity)
If you are suffering, grieving and experiencing sadness…

             Be honest with yourself….
Be honest with your friends and support system….if you are suffering… tell someone about it…don’t hide, don’t be embarrassed and don’t be afraid…if those people shut the door on you then find someone else to lean on
Find a power greater than yourself to lean on....spirituality….what works for you…
Stay in the moment….no projecting back and no projecting forward….in this moment…
Cry Cry Cry Cry
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Pray Pray Pray
             Eat healthy and sleep
             Talk Talk Talk

When my heart feels heavy and grief sets in…. I say it out loud….I call or text my friends (you know who you are) about it…. I am honest with people about it… I ask God to help me….I pray…I cry and I talk about it…I take care of my basic needs.  

I am not afraid to ask for help.

Grief is normal and we are human….
There is no easy fix....what I can do...what we can do... is sit with someone in grief...just be present...
There is no grief like the grief that does not speak-Longfellow

Keeping it Real with Dr. Mary G

No comments:

Post a Comment