Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rules to Live By...Going Back to the Basics

I have written about a lot of things in my blog. I have written about love, relationships, family, personal growth and friendship. The last few years as you know I have had ups and downs. When I reflect on my life I realize how lucky I am and how grateful I am to have had the love of such wonderful people. Here are some solid life rules I have come to believe to be true. My disclaimer is that I have discovered these through personal experience, life and love. All may not apply to you and they are listed in no particular order:
1.      Material items mean nothing
2.      Never judge another person; you have no idea what they are dealing with in their lives
3.      Work should not be your primary focus
4.      Forgive others; it is the only way to move past anger, resentment and blame
5.      Forgive yourself
6.      Find a good life partner; a person that compliments you, supports you, accepts you unconditionally and loves you
7.      Don’t live in fear…that is not living
8.      Take risks, healthy, fun and adventuresome risks
9.      Don’t be trapped by guilt and shame…move on
10.  Stop worrying about what other people think about you
11.  You are accountable to yourself. If you are spiritual you are accountable to your higher power; nobody else
12.  Show as much compassion to yourself as you do your friends, family and neighbors
13.  Give to others
14.  Don’t let real love slip away; fight for it
15.  Find your passion and go for it
16.  Life is about choices. If you chose wrong then chose again
17.  Don’t accept what can be changed
18.  Love, love, love
19.  Say you are sorry to your children
20.  You are not perfect; you never will be
21.  Fate is not the only thing to consider; get off you fanny and make things happen
22.  Surround yourself with happy and healthy people
23.  Exercise
24.  Eat chocolate
25.  Eat lots of chocolate
26.  Take naps
27.  Take naps with someone you love
28.  Take naps with your kids
29.  Laugh
30.  Laugh at yourself
31.  Lighten up…nothing is worth that much emotion
32.  Tell the people in your life how you feel about them
33.  Communicate your true and honest feelings…don’t be afraid…do it
34.  Trust in yourself
35.  Trust in others
36.  Be okay with being wrong
37.  Be okay with admitting you are wrong
Life is about living and these basic rules serve as a guide for my life. Do I break them? Yes I have broken every single one of them on my list. I have broken lots last few days.... but what I always go back to are numbers 5 and 12. I forgive myself today and am showing compassion to myself today. Back to the basics tomorrow....
Keeping it Real with Dr. Mary G.

No comments:

Post a Comment