Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ignore the Engine Light-Wind up in the Junkyard

What happens when the engine light comes on in your car?
Some people immediately take care of it. They take it to the shop; have an expert look at it; find out what is wrong and fix it.
Some people ignore the engine light. They hope it goes away; they avoid looking at it.... believing that ignoring it means that nothing is wrong with their vehicle.
Usually if the engine light comes on something is wrong with your vehicle. Typically, those who ignore the engine light end up with more damage in the end.
Sometimes they wind up broken down on the side of the road.
How do you know if your life's engine light is on?  
Think about the important areas in your life and ask yourself if you are balanced and fulfilled.
How are your relationships? Are you feeling loved? Are you loving? Are your relationships with friends and family mutually satisfying and respectful? How is your relationship with yourself? Do you respect yourself? Love yourself? Forgive yourself? Do you take care of yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually?
Do you feel like you are meeting your goals in life? Are you doing what you want to do with your career? Are you living where you want to live? Do you have the lifestyle you want to have?
How much fun do you have each day? Each week? Each month? Do you play? Do you laugh? Do you have consistent joy?
What choices do you make for you? Choices that take you closer to what you want out of life? Do you feel empowered to make those choices?
All the areas in your life need to be tended to in order for you to keep the engine light off.
How do you determine if you need to attend to your life or a part of your life?
It requires taking a hard and honest look at the areas of your life and doing some self-assessment.
You have to honestly answer the hard questions.
 If one or more areas of your life is unfulfilled..like a car with its engine light on....it is time to take care of the problem.
Address it head on. You and only you are the expert that can fix it.
My engine light is definitely blinking. I have good balance in many parts of my life. I recognize that I do need to attend to the area of fun, solitude and purpose.
Small changes and steps can and will lead to a more balanced life. I also know that small steps can lead to big steps and big changes; needed changes.
If I don’t take care of the areas in my life needing attention, like a car with its engine light on, I will breakdown and be parked on the side of the road...I may be hauled to the junkyard.
Stay off the side of the road with me and stay away from the junkyard.
Take care of the parts of your life you may be neglecting…address the engine light; don’t ignore it and don’t wait until it you are to broken down to service or repair.
Keeping it Real with Dr. Mary G.

1 comment:

  1. How about this thought... when my engine light comes on I typically do not know what the problem is, however when a brake light or oil light or gas light come on I know what I need to address. My point is when I am in an emotional state for no known reason, or an anxious state and no clear reason for stress I usually need to seek help from outside sources. Sometimes a source in the body of a person or mentor type, or sometimes found in someone I can trust and confide in. There are also the times when nothing short of God is the help I need. In terms of the obvious brake, oil and gas type lights I use an acronym for a self awareness helper...HALT! Am I HUNGRY, am I ANGRY, am I LONELY or am I TIRED? These are questions anyone could ask themselves on a day to day basis. Works for me! Peace!

    ReplyDelete